24 December 2010

Why does everyone always hate on the childless relative?

It's that time of the year where families get together and tensions rise as siblings and parents say snappy lines towards each other, further fueling the fire and reaffirming just how much you and your family can't get along. For me, this is the time of year where a lack of privacy, an extra dose of anxiety, and a huge bottle of red wine (not for sharing) become the only gifts I get for Christmas. I feel so guilty for not wanting to be home for Christmas, and maybe I'm just pouting, but I seriously cannot stand being around my sisters or their children. As much as I love my sisters, there's no reason I should feel responsible or obligated to them. If Christmas could go the way I wanted, I would just have my parents over for dinner. But god has a way of waving his finger at me. "No," he says, "you must also spend the holiday with people who are going to patronize you, isn't that a lot of fun?!"

I would be able to tolerate the holidays if everyone wasn't so pressing about how motherhood is the one and only factor that proves a woman's strength. Seriously? That's the real argument? Please.

I don't get why people always hate on the relative that just doesn't want kids. I learned at a very young age that neither marriage nor children were in the cards for me, that I wanted to lead an independent, career-oriented lifestyle, and that I would be happy spending the rest of my life with just a partner and my work. For that I do not apologize because I think I am only being honest with myself. Yet honesty gets me in trouble with my relatives, who think that because I'm not a mother, I'm not a responsible, mature, intelligent adult. Guess all my years studying in pursuit of a degree is not what qualifies me as such. Oh, the confusion!

Mothers. Give me a break! I commend you for all your sacrifices, but be nice this year to your relatives who are honest enough to make a decision that makes them happy!

No comments: