08 December 2008

20 laps around the sun

Today is my 20th birthday, and needless to say, it went stunningly well.  Aside from financial worries, 4 hours worth of practicing, and the burden of studying, I have had a wonderful birthday so far.  Grisha made me cheesecake tonight, and we lit up a number 8 candle since that was all we had... Ha.  I must be one of the luckiest girls in the world, because how many girls have boyfriends who can make them delicious cheesecake?  Not many that I know of.

Last night before the clock struck 12, Grisha and I watched Breakfast at Tiffany's together at my place... I don't think he appreciated it as much as I do (it's one of my favorites), and I think he only watched it because it was what I wanted to do and it's a classic, but he enjoyed it enough.  As midnight hit, he gave me my present, which was a genuine mixtape of tunes, as well as a CASIO cassette player to play it.  I'm going to spend the rest of my life with this man.

I don't really get festive for such occasions as my birthday.  I don't feel any different, really.  Birthdays are just like any other day, only I'm a day older and closer to my death.  If one day of being a year older is cause for celebration, why can't everyday be a day of celebration?  After all the days alone deserve their own right for which to be celebrated.  

The older I get (and let's face it, 20 years old is not at all old), the lazier and less interested I become with being carnivalesque.  I'm satisfied with a few cigarettes and good beer on a porch or in the living room.  Everything else is just living in excess.

No comments: