01 December 2008

Poor and happy

I am dirt poor, have no money in my bank account (I probably have a negative balance), and have no job.  My rent is due this week, as well as a payment for October's rent, which did not go through as I thought.  I have no money to buy Christmas presents, groceries, material goods, books, sheet music, or a new sewing machine.  In spite of my troubles, I am happy.

Money has no value.  Its influence on the state of man is only finite.  It is arbitrary; it cannot tell me who I am or what I will be.  It cannot dictate my path or shape my character.  In ten years or even next year I may be in so much debt, but in no way will it change my temperament.  Of course I may be frustrated and stressed, but I am happy, and a happy state is a difficult height to come down from.

Although the world is indifferent to personal comedies or tragedies, perhaps it is best to accept that I should be indifferent to the world as well.  

No comments: