17 August 2010

My life and blueberry pie




The other day I started to worry about all my food spoiling while I was out of town so I have been on a cooking frenzy and Grisha is pretty pleased with the results. I was most proud of my very first blueberry pie that I made for a friend's going away party, which everyone enjoyed (the party and the pie). Suffice it to say that the pie was gone before I could even get a second slice. I used a standard recipe from Simply Recipes and in spite of all my "freak out" episodes during the process of baking the pie was an an ultimate success. Now that my blueberries and all my veggies are mostly done with, what to do with the rest of my strawberries and bananas is the mission I must complete. I stored them in the freezer, I hope that's okay. I'm hoping that by the time I return on Sunday the bananas will be ripe enough for me to make a wealthy amount of banana bread for the return of all my roommates. I'm not sure what I'll do with the strawberries though. Perhaps I'll just save them for my yogurt and homemade granola.

I have been on a 90's streak for the past two weeks, and it's not because of Urban Outfitters's new campaign, I've just been reliving and reconnecting with everything that helped me get through parachute pants and contemporary furniture. I never thought this was possible, but lately I've been channeling all my bitter 90's cynicism by rekindling my passion for Pavement, Sammy, Sonic Youth, and my ultimate love for my best friend, Daria. DARIA! The girl who saved us all from the face of near misanthropy. After watching the entire series again while I was tirelessly bored at work, I now understand a lot of the things that went on in the show that I never understood when I was a kid, although I managed to brush the feeling off because I loved Daria and wanted to be like her. For instance, the witty remarks and references to film and literature (i.e. Gone With the Wind, Heart of Darkness, etc.), or the sort-of break up between Daria and Trent at the end of season 3. I mean I had no idea that was a break up back in 1999. And even I almost cried about that break up, because I'm still not over Trent. That sounds creepy.


Anyway, as I continue to revel in the past, I am doing so in the home of my parents in Virginia Beach. I got hired by VB City Public Schools to teach a viola masterclass at the Visual and Performing Arts Academy to help prepare their students for Regional Orchestra auditions this Fall. What a great and easy way to win $200 for 8 hours in one week!

No comments: