18 August 2008

The Nostalgic

I'm obsessed with my new apartment.  I'm extremely pleased with the way it has turned out, and I look forward to spending the next couple years here.  Even my parents were satisfied with this flat, and they normally have opposing views towards my taste.  I'm getting a piano delivered on Saturday, and since Friday is pay-day (thank God), I'm going to buy another bookcase as well as a dresser.  Sadly, I cannot live out of these tubs and suitcases for any longer or else I'll fall apart during the semester, and I will not allow myself to do that.  Pictures to come once I get my Canon back.

My old best friend Jon recently sent me a picture he took of me a year and a half ago while we were prancing around downtown Norfolk on a lazy afternoon once we got out of class.  It's funny how a photograph can have so much meaning to it based on the content.  Thinking about Jon, what the picture entails and how that day went made my heart feel warmer and pump faster.  I remember almost every detail of that Wednesday afternoon.  I remember sitting in the passenger seat, with our good friend Justin in the back, as Jon drove out of the school parking lot and headed off to downtown through I-264, a rough and winding 40 minute drive.  We were at last and once again a trio jumping fences and dodging police officers, causing mischief in back alleys in broad daylight.  We had no possessions worth taking, except of course Jon's precious Canon and some cash.  The simplicity of remembering such details all of a sudden made me feel very lonely and very whole at the same time.  Perhaps it was the nostalgia of actually having that one best friend in high school that you could always rely on to save you, get you, and complete you, and then finally realizing that the both of you have gone your separate ways now and are no longer the pair you once were.

I clicked the link to the picture, sending me to Jon's Flickr page where I saw the image and a comment above it that read "I should be a better friend".

No comments: